Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Writing Avoidance

My last post was titled, "Don't Wake Me Up." I considered naming this one "Okay, Go Ahead and Wake Me Up."

I've experienced another bout of 'writing avoidance.'

Now, I've heard of writing avoidance before. It is the tendency for writers to drag their feet on their latest project, perhaps as an attempt to shield themselves from failure. The project that is never completed can never be rejected. And at first, I really thought this was a stupid piece of psycho-babble.

Until I caught myself doing it three times.

I hit a patch of avoidance before I finished my draft, just before I finished my editing, and now again, as I'm preparing a proposal. It is not something you plan to do. It is something you catch yourself doing.

I don't know what the solution is. Maybe more self-discipline. Maybe a good swift kick.

Anybody willing to give me a good kick?

No comments:

Post a Comment