Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

More Fun with Microsoft Grammar Check

Microsoft Word's grammar checker drives me batty. It is terrible for fiction writing. Not only does it gig me for every contraction, but it hates fragments--something necessary for authentic dialog.

But it finds some things--perhaps one good gig for every 10 idiotic suggestions, so I run it anyway. And rant about it later.

One good gig? "Shower head" should be "showerhead." Who knew? Obviously not Google, since it has a red squiggly line underneath it in this blog entry. Hmmm... Maybe that is not such a good gig.

MW also seems to have a problem with landlord. It wants me to change it to proprietor. Sorry, but I just can't hear my character complaining "the proprietor jacked up the rent."

But my favorite today? My protag remarks, "It must be a guy thing." MW wants me to change it to, "It must be a people thing." What? I've noticed it also doesn't like me talking about "ladies."

And why does it want to change every occurrence of "but" to "however" or "nevertheless." I mean, who actually says "nevertheless"?

Nevertheless, I'll continue to use "but."

1 comment:

  1. You are so funny, Barb! I'm glad I popped over here today.
    Lin Johnson, the editor of "Christian Communicator" says the Microsoft grammar checks are worthless.
    HOWEVER, I like it for the sake of telling me how many passive sentences I have.
    Blessings,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete