Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Writers' Police Academy

I had a great time at the Mad Anthony Writers' Conference and the Writers' Police Academy. It was a long trip, and I was hoping it would be worth the expense and the time, and I think it was. I learned a lot and had a fantastic time.


Friday was spent in presentations and tours. This is the best picture I could get of the canine part of the canine unit. I have three other pictures of various stages of blur. Although the dog (for some odd reason) spent a good portion of his time in our general vicinity, he would not sit still. Which is good, since apparently that is what he does when he detects drugs.

And later we headed to the morgue. That is Butler County Coroner Richard P. Burkhardt who allowed us in for a tour--a very interesting experience. Leaning in the door is Verna Dreisbach, literary agent and former California Highway Patrol Officer, who contributed one of my favorite moments of the conference when she told a busload of us that she was really good at drunk driving.

This is the cold box. Yes, at the morgue. We did go inside, but I didn't take any pictures--it somehow didn't seem appropriate. I think I need one of these in my own house. And I'm trying to figure out how my menopausal protagonist might wander into one in the midst of a hot flash. Hmmmm.....


No, you don't
want to be there. What Dr. B is saying at this moment that if the customer on the table is Jewish, they put the plug in to preserve the blood for burial. But, if the poor departed is only a Christian...





And yes, what a beautiful pancreas!







Next we toured the police department. More pics tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! I'm glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post and Smart Blog
    Thanks for your good information and i hope to subscribe and visit my blog Articles2day.Org and more The Advertising Platform thanks again admin

    ReplyDelete